Castor oil is a kind of high economic value crops, it can be used as medicinal laxatives, lubricant, plasticizer, emulsifier, also dyeing auxiliary in textile, chemical industry and light industry, as well as raw materials for manufacturing of paint, soap and printing ink. Castor oil can react readily with concentrated sulfuric acid, forming a long chain molecule with an ionic sulfonate group (commonly known as Turkey red oil) on the end. Castor oil is the glycerol triester of ricinoleic acid, the ricinoleic acid in the oil can also be dehydrated, forming esters containing a mixture of esterified fatty acids with conjugated and non-conjugated double bonds.
In the food industry, castor oil (food grade) is used as food additives, flavorings, candy, and as a mold inhibitor in packaging. Polyoxyethylated castor oil is also used in the food industries. Castor oil features of high temperature resistance and lubrication, it was used as a lubricant in internal combustion engines during World War II, because of it could produce oil dirt, so now it has replaced by other mineral oil, but it still can be used as lubricant, engine oil, and brake fluid. Castor oil can be used as laxatives in medical industry. It also can be used for varnish paint, artificial leather, inks, sealants, lubricants, and so on.
Castor oil is well known as a source of ricinoleic acid (which content more than 80%), Our company can provide castor oil from Gujarat, India, it has the advantages as following:
1. It is soluble in ethanol, difficult to dissolve in petroleum ether.
2. Castor oil is the only raw material to extract the ricinoleic acid, because of its high viscosity, high burning point (not degenerative, not burning at 500-600℃), low freezing point (non-freezing at -18℃), and large proportion. Castor oil maintains its fluidity at both extremely high and low temperatures, refined castor oil still can flow at -22℃, and it cause no turbidity after rapid cooling at -50℃, so it is the ideal lubricating oil of aircraft industry and high speed machine, and protection oil of power belt.
3. Castor oil is optically active and it contains an asymmetric carbon atom in the molecule.
4. The dielectric constant is 4.30, it is the highest one in general oil.
5. The relative density and acetyl value of castor oil are more than those of general oil.
6. Castor oil is a typical non drying liquid oil with poor oxidative stability and good storage stability.
|Free Fatty Acid (mgKoH/ gm) (As Ricinoleic)||1.0 % max.|
|Acid Value % (mgKoH/gm)||2.0% max.|
|Moisture & Volatiles %||0.25 % max.|
|Colour on Lovilond|| 1” cell (y+5r) 2.2 yellow, 0.3 red max.
5 ¼” cell (y+5r) 20 yellow, 2.0 red max.
Colour gardner 3 max.
Iodine colour 4 max.
|Iodine Value (By wiss,gI2 /100g)||82 - 90|
|Saponification Value (mgKoH/gm)||177 - 185|
|Unsaponifiable Matter||1.0 % max.|
|Hydroxyl Value mgKoH/gm||160 min.|
|Specific gravity 15ºC||0.952 - 0.965|
|Viscosity at 20ºC Pas||9.5 - 11.0|
|Viscosity at 25ºC Pas||6.0 - 9.0|
|Viscosity Gardner||U - V|
|Refractive Index at 20ºC||1.477 - 1.481|
|Peroxide Value||5 max.|
|Optical Rotation||+3.5º to +6.0º|
|Solubility||Complete soluble in alcohol without turbidity|
|Ricinoleic Acid Content||85% min.|
|Insoluble Impurities||0.02% max.|